Program Manager, Alumni Focus
COOP / “ko-op” / connects diverse local grads to upwardly mobile careers in the digital economy.
Our flagship program is the Digital Apprenticeship: Cohorts of 16 motivated CUNY or CalState grads meet nightly for 16 weeks (200 hours) to learn digital skills like Paid Search & Social, work on live client projects, and build community.
Each cohort is led by a team of four cohort captains, returning COOP alumni who “pay it forward” as coaches, mentors, and guides—on top of busy day jobs at local ad agencies and digital companies.
We help these same employers hire more and more great candidates from diverse local communities. Since 2014, we’ve launched 31 cohorts with more than 400 apprentices in New York and the SF Bay Area. Four-in-five alumni are fully employed, earning an average of $45,000 after 12 months and $60,000 after two years (with plenty of room to grow).
By 2025, we'll launch 10,000 careers in major cities and digital industries across the country.
Program management responsibilities (50%)
- Build relationships with facility host, especially championing a positive and productive relationship with the facility manager.
- Reserve and maintain conference rooms (and other spaces) for COOP cohorts.
- Act as a mediator and connector between captains and COOP students.
- Be on-site from 6-10pm, M-Th, to welcome and direct students, external speakers and COOP visitors.
- Be ready to deliver digital marketing-specific trainings and occasional professional development workshops*
- Address captains’ needs and questions regarding training material and schedule.
- Support current COOPers in finding the right job opportunity
- Plan and execute organization and networking events to guarantee successful career launches and foster social capital.
Partnerships & alumni engagement responsibilities (50%)
- Build relationships with COOP alumni to foster a vibrant community
- Reach out to alums who are looking for new opportunities and update case management status
- Offer job placement support for COOPers who are still looking to launch their career and those who want to change position
- Support Community Director with COOP Ambassador + Mentorship program
- Support Partnerships Manager in maintaining and developing key employer partnerships.
- Assist Partnerships Manager with employer engagement programs, events, mentors, and visits.
- Maintain agency recruiter relationships and work with Partnerships Managers to identify appropriate candidates for recruiters
Required skills and characteristics
- Willingness to work outside of defined job description to establish new processes or find a solution to new problems.
- Strong interest in digital marketing and tech trends and/or relevant work experience.
- Belief in our mission and genuine excitement about mentoring and training COOPers.
- Ability to consider multiple perspectives, synthesize information and draw conclusions in service of supporting student improvement.
- Strong presentation skills, as well as the ability to conduct training sessions.
- Proficiency in Excel; ability to manipulate big data sets to create reports and uncover insights.
- Prior experience creating surveys and using Salesforce or other CRM (customer relationship management tool)
- Cohort Captain experience (or similar coaching, leadership, and “pay it forward” experience)
Location & work environment
- This position is available for both our NYC and SF teams.
- Our culture is fast-paced, creative and innovative with a casual work environment.
- COOP provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
- We seek to build a diverse staff representative of the communities we serve. All qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
For candidates interested in SF:
- Required to stay a minimum of 2 program cycles in location (1 year)
- Must be able to take lead on industry-specific lessons when captains are unable to (e.g. Help lead a Paid Social workshop if the captain is not familiar with that particular industry)
If you’re interested in NY, please email Monica (email@example.com) and if you’re interested in SF, please email Rychelle (firstname.lastname@example.org) with subject line “NY (or) SF Alumni Engagement Manager” by October 20, 2017. Please include your resume and a cover letter specific to the location. You may apply for both locations separately. Thank you!!