Join our team!
Program + Partnerships Director
About the role
We're defining a new way to connect ambitious, high-potential urban grads to the careers they so richly deserve. We see this as the last frontier of public education—and we're looking for a curious, confident, and passionate teammate to help us imagine and execute this important work:
- Lead program development + delivery for at least one career track
- Build partnerships with employers to define curriculum, recruit coaches, and secure opportunities
- Manage a small (but growing!) team and an exceptional roster of industry coaches
- Design an organization and growth plan that's exciting, ambitious, and effective
Overview: We are a Brooklyn-based nonprofit connecting urban public college graduates to meaningful careers—starting in NYC. Since September 2014, we've run two successful cohorts, both focused on digital marketing. We're planning another eight cohorts over the next 12 months, empowering 100+ CUNY grads to begin substantive, upwardly mobile careers in tech, media, and design. See our program overview to learn how.
Background: The gap between college and career is wide—and it doesn't affect us equally:
- Nationwide, 45% of recent grads are underemployed (in jobs that don’t require a degree), including 56% of Black recent graduates. (CEPR)
- In New York, minorities make up 63% of the city’s workforce and 76% of CUNY’s student body, but hold just 37% of tech and media jobs. (CUNY)
With a quarter million undergraduates—three in four from NYC public schools—the City University of New York (CUNY) is essential and indispensable. We aim to be its complement.
What we believe: A city's workforce should reflect the diversity of its residents and students—and no young person transitions from formal education to meaningful employment on her own. Everyone needs pathways, connections, and first chances—we certainly did. The challenge, then, is ensuring that these resources don’t merely accrue to the privileged. Ultimately, that is CO•OP’s task, starting in NYC.
Our theory of change: We are above all flexible and scrappy, but a few closely-held ideas guide our thinking and program evolution:
- Your peers make a powerful network
- “Near peers” make excellent coaches
- Your first salaried job is a critical credential
- Alumni are our most important asset
This could be a good fit if you're...
- Confident, curious, and passionate
- Comfortable with ambiguity and constant evolution
- A self-starter with a "bias toward action"
- A problem solver and team player
- Able to quickly establish a point of view
- An excellent relationship-builder (from recent grads to CEOs)
- An effective coach, mentor, and motivator
- Experienced in one or more of the following:
- NYC tech, media, or design
- Urban education
- Nonprofit leadership
- Startup leadership
- Strategy consulting
- Higher education
- Workforce development
- Full-time opportunity based in NYC
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Reports directly to Executive Director (ED)
- CO•OP is an equal opportunity employer
How to apply
Please send an email with resume + cover letter to our ED, Kalani Leifer: email@example.com